Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sleep...or lack thereof

How many times have you been lying in bed, tossing and turning, staring at the clock saying, "Three more hours before I have to get up, ok...going to close my eyes and sleep now." then "two more hours...need sleep."..."One more"...."SHIT!!".

Sleep disorders are quite common and they can be solved by something as simple as buying a new pillow or a mattress. Or...you need serious drugs, therapy, and meditation.

I'm one of those folks that it takes a very long time for me to get relaxed enough to fall asleep. I toss and I turn, and I toss and I turn until finally at some juncture of which I'm oblivious...I fall asleep. However, if there is the slightest little noise, or nuisance I'll wake up, and it will take another hour or so for me to get back to sleep.

Well, this goes hand in hand with my previous blog about Stress and anxiety, because sleep deprivation is part of the big three. Stress, Anxiety, Lack of Sleep. The problem with the lack of sleep is that it is culmulative, so if you get 5 hours on mon, 6 hours on tues, 4 on on wed...come thursday you're working on no sleep. No sleep, leads to stress, which leads to anxiety, which leads to death or worse.

It's funny because I brought this subject up with some friends, and not a single one of them sleeps well. Not one! That's pretty scary.

I've even gone so far as to pick up sleeping pills and use them when I absolutely must rest and cant' seem to. But, they are addictive, and the more you use them, the less they work. The next best thing....NYQUIL...hell yeah that stuff is a godsend. But again, addictive.

A girl I'm very fond of at the moment gave me a tip....meditation. Relaxation techniques. So, I'm about to go all samurai on everyone's ass, and actually give it a shot. I keep picturing monks and their chanting while sitting cross-legged in a temple. Well at least I have the bald head to fit in.

Too many times I've woken up from a sleep only to find myself as or more tired than when I first lay down. Too many times, I've watched the mintues tick away trying to get that few hours of desperate rest. Too many times, have I woken from a sleep only to find I've only slept for an hour and then can't get back to sleep.

Not sure if there are any answers for this yet, going to bring it up to my doc when I see him on Thursday, but I have to say, this is just way to common, and what is this really saying about the method in which people live their lives.

Sethalos

3 comments:

FindingHeart said...

Yeah, I can see me raising a sheep in the backyard for this very reason. Ha! (uh, yeah, I mean to count, not to..)

You are on target about the cumulative effect of sleep dep. I wonder if the 'young father' technique of feeding the baby turkey and warm milk just to make them tired would work for you. I believe a good portion of health is also mental and that your friend has a point with meditation. I'm looking to start yoga (gonna start with a vid podcast teacher so I can look stupid by myself) just to have the body relaxed and loose before sleep.

Good luck.

Libertine said...

I have troulble like you describe with my sleeping now and then.

Usually getting laid takes care of that and any other stress I might be having at the moment.

Steve said...

Sleep is a good thing when you can experience it consistently. I was diagnosed by a sleep lab with "upper airway resistance syndrome (UARS)"

They prescribed a CPAP machine and told me in about six months I would wake up and think "I feel better". I woke up the first morning and felt amazingly better.

Two years down the road, I am still a big believer in the CPAP. I am not sensitive to my sleep enviroment anymore. Light was big for me. I crash right out and sleep well.

Before CPAP I was functional with 9 hours of sleep. Now, with only 7 hours a night, I feel better than I did with 9. The CPAP doesn't make me go to bed earlier though. Thinking about it, I now have to make a choice to go to bed. I used to fall asleep in the evening if I sat still for too long.

Anyway, it could be something to think about. Your post reminded me of my life before CPAP. Don't let the doctors tell you that you don't look like a typical apnea or UARS patient. The Ex and I both didn't fit the typical.