Thursday, May 05, 2011

Old Man Syndrome

I was in great shape a year ago, I could run 5km's without an issue, I was energetic and outgoing and never really complained to much about my physical well being. Because of this I had decided that it was time that I quit smoking for good, I had originally quit for 13 years but once I hit basic training and the stress of all of that combined with my recourses due to injury I picked it up again.

So, knowing full well that my crutch when I quit smoking was to hide away from people and eat everything in sight I still wasn't able to keep the pounds off. I gained 35 pounds back, and my metabolism and energy levels are completely shot.

The difference now though is I'm 42 and my body is rebelling against me. My metabolism has slowed to a near crawl and from what I've read and been told it's due to my age not so much from anything else. But the fact that I quit smoking contributed to the rapid fall. So losing weight now is going to be an epic battle.

I go to the gym once/twice a day, and I try to stay active but the problem is now that the weight isn't coming off, because of the factors of metabolic slow down. So, I've been on a few supplements that are supposed to help me, and so far I've lost about 5 Kg's.

The hardest part of it all is trying to gain back my cardio. I'm not the running type, I don't have long legs or a sleek build. I'm 5'8" and stocky so when I run it's like a bull rampaging through a mall. I have about a month to get my Cardio up enough that I can run a LvL 5 on the Xpress test which is going to absolutely be a difficult thing to do.

After a swim, and some jogging today, I've decided that it has finally happened....I'm getting Old.

.....and I don't like it.

Rob.

No comments: