Monday, March 03, 2008

Day 1 - Flight Out Nightmare (NOAB)

Well, my excitement quickly came to and end on Saturday when I was waiting for my flight out of Fredericton to Toronto to begin my Naval Officer Assessment Board adventure.

As luck would have it Fredericton was hit by a very nasty snow storm and the flight was cancelled. I just shook my head and repeated, "Figures!".

Once I heard the announcement I filed out with the rest of the travellers and decided to have the other 3 candidates paged so that we could, as a group, decide our best next course of action. I took down everyone's contact information for the exception of one lady that had already left and contacted our liaison in BC. We never heard back from anyone about the cancelled flight, or to just relay that they were aware of the situation until 10pm the next evening. Something I thought was a tab bit odd, however it was on a weekend and not too many people check their voice messages or work emails on a weekend in the Military. It was a relief to finally hear from our liaison and to know the situation was being worked on.

I took the initiative to call our flight agent and have them find us the next possible itinerary to get us to Victoria before the third day, that was worked out and I sent an email to our contact point here more or less to give them a frame of reference of what was available at the time.

I found out today (2 days later) that for the 4 of us things will probably be delayed and we will be rescheduled to attend the next NOAB. They weren't sure when this would be but he stated it would most likely be a few months at the very least, which certainly puts some difficult decisions in my way.

I'm currently in a holding pattern now waiting for the final decision.

In a small way I'm glad that this happened as it will give me more time to get into better physical shape as well as review some of my Math/English skills for the MOST (Maritime Officer Selection Test) as well as prepare more for the eventuality of my actually passing. This all happened very quickly in my case as I was only notified a week before my orders to attend the NOAB were issued. I hadn't even realized there was another Aptitude type test required, as well as several interviews and presentations.

Although, I'm very confident now that I'm a decent candidate after doing a bit more research, I'm still anxious about the whole process.

Until we find out what is going.... (To be Continued....)

-Seth

No comments: