Monday, March 10, 2008

Day 5 - 6 : NOAB - MOST (Maritime Officer Selection Test)

Well the time had finally arrived for us to do our MOST. Let me tell you that this was the most dreaded moment for all of us. Most of the group that had been there before us had already done it and so we heard the horror stories and blank faces of those that had come out of it.

We were actually lucky because as we arrived to do the test we were informed that our small group didn't have to write them until the next day. So it left that day pretty much open to us to rest and go through the meet and greets in the Gun room. Of course it was just delaying the inevitable, hehe.

Day 6:

7am: Our Turn for the MOST test. We are nervous as hell as the instructions for the exam are being read aloud to us and we all look as if we are about to run out of the room, haha.

Obviously, I can't talk about what was in the test at all but I will say this...it can't be studied for. It's not something that you can review for. All that you could do is practice some mental math and get a good nights sleep.

We finished the MOST exam and we walked to the gun room. As we arrived at the Gun Room the rest of the group was milling about, this was the end of the testings, interviews, and selection. The groups were being called up to be told whether or not they were to be given an offer or not. This was by far the most stressful period of the entire thing for us. We all felt very rushed and unprepared for everything that we were put through.

When our time came we were taken upstairs and we waited with others for our fate. When my turn arrived, I took a deep breath, straightened my back and walked into the room.

I was asked if I was sure that the Navy was where I wanted to spend my career. I responded, "Yes Sir...very much so." The officer looked at me dead pan, then smiled, and said, "Then congratulations son, you made it." He handed me a paper with some instructions on it and they all took turns shaking my hand.

I had tears in my eyes and I walked out absolutely stunned that I had made the selection. The group gathered around and congratulated me, shook my hand, and pats on the back. The stress, anxiety, tension, and worry faded away as it slowly dawned on me that I had succeeded. My entire group passed the selection and we were just ecstatic about it.

We waited to speak with the recruitment officer to find out when our Basic would start, and other information. Once that was completed we joined the rest of the group downstairs and were congratulated and gave congrats to those that passed. There were several that did not pass and I made sure to take the time to go over and speak with those that were there.

Once we had a few drinks and swapped stories with the officers and NCM's we went for lunch and then were told we were going to be given a tour of the HCMS Ottawa. I was extremely excited to get to go aboard and see the guts of the ship. It was an incredible experience.

The rest of the day was spent packing: Oh yes, we had finally received our clothes late the previous evening.

This was a day I will never forget.

No comments: